I am very proud of my record of service and achievement over the last four years. Here is a snapshot, for your consideration.
- Led the development and adoption of the most progressive Gender Identity and Gender Expression Policy and Regulations of any School District in the province. This policy makes our schools safer and more inclusive.
- Developed an Equity Policy which includes a system for annually identifying “equity seeking schools” using BC Stats socio-economic indicators as well as internal catchment data in order that resources can be directed first to the schools with the greatest need. This policy improves equity among Sd61’s 47 schools.
- Led the revision of SD61 dress codes to ensure that dress codes uphold human rights and reflect a vision for schools where no body is a distraction and all children are welcome to express themselves without fear of shame.
- Helped oversee the development of SD61’s Strategic Plan as the only Trustee member of the Strategic Plan Writing Group.
- Advocated at the provincial level through the BC School Trustees Association for the inclusion of consent in k-12 curriculum, as well as the creation of a Gender-Based Violence Prevention Strategy for Youth.
- Initiated SD61 participation in the Victoria Pride Parade.
In addition, I have served in a number of roles including:
- Chair of the Operations, Planning and Policy Committee 2016-2018
- Chair of Advocacy Ad Hoc Committee 2018
- Trustee Representative on the Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee 2015-2018
- Co-Chair with Jeremy Loveday of the Youth Matters Sub-Committee
- Trustee Liaison to the District Gender and Sexuality Alliance 2014-2018
- Trustee Representative on the Aboriginal Nations Education Council 2014-2016
Outside my role as Trustee I have also made contributions, including:
- Steering Committee member of the Re-Imagining Masculinities Conference 2018-2018
- Project Lead for the BC Childcare Sector Labour Market Partnerships Project – Stakeholder Engagement 2018
- Chair, Cedar Daycare Board 2014-2018
If you think my hands are full, you should see me heart!